Thursday, August 14, 2008

We are in Buffalo getting Laney and Taylor all moved in! Their apartment is INSANELY huge and beautiful and ridiculously cheap. Paying to keep it warm during the crazy winters may be quite the predicament however!!

I also have an update on Kent! I know everybody -especially you Millers :)- are excited to hear from/about him, so here's the most recent e-mail!! It sounds like things are going really well.

I had the best day EVER!! I have found my calling in life. I LOVED the clinic and I love clinical medicine. I diagnosed an inner ear infection, kidney infection, scabies, and helped a ton of really fabulous people get medicine they could never ever afford. I had such anxiety about the language and not knowing anything but I speak more spanish than a lot of people on this trip. I LOVE Nicaragua and the people here and time is going by too quickly. I got to see a lot of ultrasounds which were really cool except two of the girls were teenagers. 15 and 16 year old girls who are having babies! Teen pregnancies are rampant in Nicaragua. Tonight we went out to dinner and had AMAZING food. I went to the grocery store about four blocks from the restaurant after I had ordered and they were making the food. (It took forever to get our food). I went with one of the translators I have become good friends with and I force to speak to me in Spanish. Walking through the streets and seeing how poor people are makes me feel like a really selfish person. I gave some kids some money on the street and they started jumping up and down they were so excited. I can't believe the experiences I'm having!

I can't wait till he gets home and can post some pictures! I miss him like crazy!

Today we are off to Niagara Falls and Palmyra!! I'll take lots of pictures!!

6 comments:

BradandBecca said...

Leisy-you're so close! I'm not sure you'll get this in time but do you guys need a place to stay if you want to stay overnight? We are 30 min from Palmyra! Have fun. It would be fun to see you though....

Cynthia said...

Sounds like Kent is really enjoying his trip and he definitely is meant to be a doctor. The trip sounds like something you would thrive on too. Hopefully you can go one time with him! (definitely by the time he is an attending).

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing that, Leisy. I'm so proud of you guys!! Kent will be such a tremendous doctor with the support and love he gets from you. I'm so happy to hear that he is having an incredible experience. Reading that e-mail just made me bawl (I must be a Miller or something :)!)

I'm excited to see your Palmyra and Niagra Falls pics. I hope Zebby is staying healthy for ya!

tiffany said...

have fun in new yourk. im glad kent is having a great time thanks for sharing that e-mail its great.

Susan said...

I love your blog, but can't keep up with you. You look like you have way too much fun!! Sorry you have to be without Kent, that really sucks. Did I tell you Kenny is getting all his paperwork to sign up for the Air Force Reserves? Not looking forward to him leaving for basic training.

Pat and Brent said...

Thanks for sharing his email. Kent is about the only one I know who could get excited about scabies - ewwwwwh! I'm so glad he gets that experience.(Not so much the scabies - but the other things.) I can't believe how easy you guys can pick up other languages - it's really great.

Sounds like Taylor and Laney are in for some great experience themselves.