Tuesday, May 27, 2008

до свидания

He's gone. It was an INSANE day and he actually almost didn't leave!
Kent got a confirmation e-mail about his flight a bit ago (I don't know exactly when) and I got online to check his flight status this morning. The Toledo Airport showed no flight with that number or destination! I checked Delta's website and the flight number corresponded with a flight headed to Florida from NYC. Kent quickly called the Toledo airport and was told that the flight did not, in fact, exist. He called Delta and the agent told him the flight had been cancelled TWO WEEKS AGO!! they also told him that they had informed his travel agency. He called the travel agency (the air force has this agency do all of their flights) and they told him they had no idea about the cancellation. It was a MESS. His only options were a flight out of Detroit in sixty minutes (impossible because it takes at least sixty minutes to get there) or a flight to Cincinnati to Atlanta then to Montgomery late this afternoon from toledo. He was supposed to be IN Alabama at four. He called Maxwell AFB and informed them that he'd be at least four hours late. They were not happy- and I'm sure he is going to get REAMED tonight. Right now he's boarding the plane to Montgomery (luckily he gains an hour to Alabama) and should get there by 8:20. The Delta agent printed out an "excuse note" for him. I'm sure the Air Force people will be very understanding and accept his tardy note (can you sense my sarcasm?!!?). Poor Kent! Good thing he's really excited and very humble :) Apparently the worst thing to say to screaming Air Force personnel is "sorry". I'm sure he'll have quite the story to tell.

The fiasco was stressful but it was really nice to get a few more hours with Kent today. Since he was leaving for military purposes the airport gave me a temporary "boarding pass" and I got to walk him to the gate and watch his plane leave. There was even a playplace for Zeb while we waited. I only had a few tears and so far it all seems surreal. From the airport I went straight to the park for a run- and then to the library to get some good DVDs and books to keep me busy. Tonight when I started the bathwater for Zeb, I asked him where dad was (Kent always bathes him) and he crawled around the house looking in each room saying "dad. dad. dad. dad.". We got some videos of Kent reading zeb's favorite books and singing his favorite songs. Hopefully that will appease the rugrat for awhile.









I miss Kent already.

I just keep telling myself that the Air Force has given us over 50,000 dollars already. I can give him away for four weeks for fifty thousand dollars.

I really should have taken a picture of Kent's haircut. He looked super official.

13 comments:

yaya said...

Leisy, I'm really feeling bad for you to say bye to Kent. Hang in there kiddo! He will find the government doesn't always run too smooth! They need good men like him! I'm proud of him and you for the sacrifice for our feedom(and your med bills!) Good luck Kent! Have fun in Utah with family.

yaya said...

P.S. That have fun with family is for Leisy and Zeb! Hope to see you sometime this summer or fall at the Pines!

M- your favorite said...

Poor Kent-I can see it now how stressed out he was. I but that was not to pretty. I'm glad he made it-

Sorry that he is gone-sounds like you will have a lot of things to keep you busy.

Can't wait to see you.

Cynthia said...

What a crazy day! That is so annoying about his flight. I love how the airlines gave him an "excuse note" like this is high school. Pathetic airline!
So sorry that Kent is gone, but at least now you can start the count down to his return.
Let me know if when you need a break from being a single mom. We would love to take Zeb for a couple hours.

brittani c. said...

Delta is stupid. So is the travel agency. I can't believe you didn't hear about anything during those 2 weeks.

Lyndsay said...

Erik asked me whether I'd send him away for 4 weeks if it meant I got $50k (no strings attached). Without hesitation, I said yes. He didn't seem offended.
I'm sorry you'll be solo for the next while! It sounds terrible!

dockters said...

So glad he finally got off! Hopefully the yelling he received upon arrival wasn't too terrible! I hope these next 4 weeks go quickly for you..and Kent!

Michelle said...

What a stressful day!!! That is seriously out of control. I would be a wreck.

Can't wait to see you and Zeb!

Unknown said...

I can't believe all that! I hope I hope that we get to be on a base someday together...I know, I know probly not gonna happen. You are still welcome to come to COlumbus whenever! I cant remember when you are going to UT.

boysmum2 said...

Steve is going away on business to Australia for 3 days in June, but I don't remember the local hospital telling me they would pay me large amounts of money for him to go.
Would I take $50k for him to go away for 4 weeks, hell yes, but I would miss him like crazy and count down the days until he got back!
You are a wonderful wife supporting your man. I am very proud of you.

Pat and Brent said...

I'm so sad for you Leisy. I'm glad you'll be here in Utah soon - that will help. I'm also very sad for Kent. I know he'll be busy, but it will be super hard for him to be away from you and Zeb. Can't wait to see all of you.

Dan said...

I'm sorry Leisy! hopefully the time will pass quickly. I loved Kent's email. Dan says he was constantly being yelled at and having to respond "NO EXCUSE SIR!!" while being trained. sounds like good times to me!

Breanne said...

You're alot stronger then I am. Wives of military men are the most amazing women! I hope that while he's gone, you can do things for yourself to take your mind off of life :)