Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ew- freaking gross. Our house has ants. I'm so insanely disgusted. I love insects- I collect them even- but I HATE ants. Of all the six legged three body segmented creatures on Earth, ants are about the only ones that I can't stand. I can't even walk into the kitchen without getting the creepy crawlies all over my body. I think it's because my dad used to force me to clean the winged ants out of our basement (they were IN THE LINT THING OF THE DRYER!!!) when I was younger. I would cry and cry but he'd still make me do it. Ants with wings haunt my dreams to this day.
I'm calling Al (our fix-it man) tomorrow. Kent tells me to just sweep them up or vacuum them. I cannot stand the thought of ants being in our vacuum cleaner- I could never vacuum again. And sweeping them puts them in a very uncomfortable proximity to me. Kent also thinks we should get ant traps. Whatever- as long as he does it. I want no part in the ant infestation.
The ants also cause problems with Z. They don't seem to phase him. He just crawls right through them when I'm not watching. I've tried setting up obstacles blocking the kitchen but he's getting trickier. I have found some other distractions however.

Pulling every item off every shelf of the cabinet is the best deterrent. It keeps him entertained for at least thirty minutes a day- and I can scurry around cleaning up all of the other shelves and drawers that he's emptied. He's getting closer and closer to walking by himself and he's just so funny right now. He giggles (and screams) more than ever and it's rather entertaining to me. He LOVES apples- but will only eat them whole. If I cut the apple up in pieces and give it to him he will not partake. It's all or nothing with this rugrat.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, I can't wait to see Zebby again. He is just the most spirited lil' guy ... and cute as can be. I never LOVED the "take everything off and out of everywhere" phase. And Krystal still throws a fit about not getting a whole apple. Sometimes I can trick her into cutting it in half. haha.

You can buy ant spray at Wal-Mart ... it's way cheap ... and works in one spray. It seems like one Summer in the condo we kept getting ants. I would vacuum and sweep like crazy every night - and would still wake up to a line of ants walking to from my front door ... UP to my kitchen counter. When I bought the spray - I just sprayed they base of our front door. I think I only had to spray there 2 more times that entire Summer. Then - I never got them again. Weird. Anyway - good luck with that.

Michelle said...

Hey - what was that website where I could find out info about movie content? We want to see Ironman - but need to know what to expect. Thanks.

Kent and Leisy said...

the site is http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

and about the ants- they aren't coming through the front door. We are on the second floor in an indoor hallway so we can't figure out how they are getting in.

Kari Ann said...

I'm sorry, but the ant thing is kind of funny! I dont' really like bugs at all, but I think I would rather have ants then a lot of other things. Good luck with that.

taylor and laney said...

If you find where the ants are coming in, spread salt around the entrance. They rarely come back. And it's cheaper than spray! It might not hurt Zeb, depending on his intake amount. But, don't all little ones need salt. I guess you could get the iodized salt to make sure it was healthy for him.

Cynthia said...

I can't believe that of all the bugs/ critters you would be o.k. with, ants are not one of them. Ants gross me out the least. However, when they are infiltrating your apartment that is pretty annoying. Good luck getting rid of the buggars!

Unknown said...

I almost randomly asked you the other day if you still hated ants. Now I know! Was it Jared that threw that egg full of them at you once? I loved your basement. So many memories.

Anonymous said...

Our place had a grand ant infestation when we moved in too. A few hundred cans of ant spray and we never saw another one! Good luck getting rid of them, they are pesky.

tiffany said...

sorry about the ants and zebis my kind of kid its all or nothing for me too

Pat and Brent said...

I'm amazed you're freaked out by ants! They are everywhere. If you leave one little crumb on the floor they are out in masses.
Looks like Zeb keeps himself entertained - and you very busy!

Deneal said...

Ants? Really? You are ok with Zeb chewing a beetle, but you won't touch an ant? Better not go to Fiji.