Friday, May 30, 2008

UPDATED this morning

I talked to Kent again tonight. He says it's super hot. They have to stand at attention out in the hot sun and sweat pours down his face and over his glasses. They aren't allowed to wipe the sweat off. Today he was in class all day and said most of the it is pretty interesting. One of the first things they went over was POWs (prisoners of war). They were taught what to do if taken captive (I'm hoping they aren't teaching the information in order of relevance). They are to try everything in their ability to escape and help others escape. The only information they can ever give an enemy is name, SS #, and rank (or something like that). Pretty intense stuff it sounds like. Here's another excerpt of an e-mail.

We just got back from our first morning workout. We just did stretches together and then ran around a track for thirty minutes. It really wasn't bad ~ they spent more time marching us out. Marching is serious business - it's all about uniformity with everything here. I met a really nice Mormon - we laughed about the short shorts. I'm excited to go to church on Sunday and see all the members. I'm assuming there is quite a good number. Waking up at 4:30 and going to bed at 11:00 every night is going to kick my TRASH!! I am going to fall asleep in class today and get reprimanded I'm sure. There is another guy in my flight with a little girl turning one on June 13 - and there is a single mom with two kids in my flight ~ her kids are with her parents. It's hard to be away.

And here's his address so that you can all send him letters and packages :) They aren't allowed any treats yet. He says they will earn the privilege if his flight can average 95% on their test tomorrow. I know he'd love any form of mail.

Lt. Charles K. Miller
COT class 08/04

550 East Maxwell Blvd #9000

Maxwell AFB, Al 36112-5000

HERE's updated info from this morning!










Here are some pictures that Kent sent last night after I talked to him. Nobody smiles in pictures. It's all about looking tough apparently. The bottom picture shows his room. He has the bunkbed all to himself but still has a roommate on a single bed. We talked for awhile last night until there was an overhead page calling all "logistics officers to report immediately" somewhere. He's a logistics officer. I'm not exactly sure what that means. He says he's having more and more fun. This morning they have a big test so he's studying like crazy. I feel bad that he just has more test to take! I'm hoping that these won't be as hard as med school tests! Oh, and here's the cheer that his flight squadron has to yell when they are marching. They are the falcons. It's kinda creepy.

"Falcons hunt from on high, diving down from the sky, ripping flesh with our talons, drawing blood by the gallons! DEATH FROM ABOVE! MORS AB ALTO!"

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Leisy - thank you SO much for posting all this info. I can't believe they won't even let him wipe the sweat off. Does that seem a little much to you? Good greif. I am so very grateful to you for sharing all Kent's info. I'm going to get a letter and package off asap.

Hope you get Zebby's package tomorrow!! (I think M sent it yesterday). That would be awesome if it came on his birthday. Oh, wait - his birthday is Sunday ... but, tomorrow would be better than Monday. This is turning into a novel. Anyway - loving and missing you!

Jason & Shannon said...

I don't know how he is doing it. I am much too weak to even consider ever doing anything like that! I think I will try to write a letter and maybe Jason will write something too.

Michelle said...

Are you kidding me with that cheer? Honestly - it's so morbid that all I can do is laugh. :D! I can't believe Kent says he's having fun ... figures.

Leslie said...

Yikes, that cheer makes me shudder! I just can't imagine kind-hearted Kent yelling that as he marches. I could NOT handle that.

M- your favorite said...

WOW! I feel bad for him. I am glad that he thinks it's fun.

I am so GREATFUL that there are people willing to serve! It is amazing!

taylor and laney said...

It is a good thing that Kent is used to sleeping in a bunk bed by himself. I guess his yearning for one at such a young age is paying dividends here.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was googling COT Class of 08/04 and got your blog site. I was trying to find some sort of support group or some sort of way to connect with other women who's signficant others were or had been in COT training. And I found your blog site. Turns out your guy, Kent, is in the same exact class as my best friend. I wanted to try and connect with you if possible but couldnt find an email address.
YOu can email me if you like at taralee32@hotmail.com

Best of wishes to you and your family! Nice site! Id really hope to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea PS.. my name is Tara and my friend's name in COT 08/04 is Tony. I dont know if Kent and Tony have ever met but its so nice to have an idea of what is happening there. I took him to the airport on Memorial day and got a quick email Monday night that he was there and met some really nice people but thats all I got so far. Have no idea what they are going through or experiencing from his perspective yet so its really cool to hear of Kent's adventures at least and who would have figured Id find a site with a guy in the same class as Tony!
Im sure they are keeping them very busy!
Again, I wish you the best and will check back periodically for updates. At least I can live vicariously through your site, right :)
Blessings to you guys! Hang in there!
Tara