Monday, May 5, 2008

He won't stop eating strange things. Today we were at the library and I was letting him run wild in the baby section (lots of puzzles, board books, etc). I look over to see him chomping away furiously. It really is a pretty normal occurrence- but when we aren't home I can't be completely sure that what he's ingesting is completely safe (although at home I can't be too sure about that either). I did the usual cheek squeeze and finger swipe through his oral cavity and came up with none other than the common wood boring beetle. He was gnawing on a Coleopteran. As an entomologist I couldn't be more proud. We were going to name him Charles Darwin- and as it turns out we probably should have. Darwin also loved beetles and at one point stored some in his mouth while he was out collecting. I have also included a picture of Zeb eating raw zucchini. He threw a tantrum when I tried to take it away.
And for the record (and all of you worry worts out there) I need to point out that Zeb rarely swallows any of the foreign objects that go into his mouth- he just chomps and chomps until he gets bored.

9 comments:

taylor and laney said...

gross gross gross.

does he swallow the zucchini? or just chew on it as well?

Kent and Leisy said...

the zucchini was just chewed on. he does it a lot with real food as well. he likes to chew.

taylor and laney said...

still. gross gross gross. raw zucchini! yehghtught.

Cynthia said...

I love how a beetle in Zeb's mouth is nothing, but Zeb playing near ants is a off limits.

Unknown said...

Eat more beetles and less McDonalds.

Nannie Annie

Linz said...

Yum. Bugs. Andrew chews on everything too, but doesn't swallow. They'll be good with gum.

M- your favorite said...

SICK!!

Michelle said...

I DID read this post the other day ... weird that I didn't comment. I love the picture of Zeb with the zuchinni slice. And I am TOTALLY with M on the SICK!! part about the bug. I very likely would have fainted to find that in one of my kids' mouths. haha.

Pam and Rand said...

Leisy - you totally crack me up! You are definately a cute mom with a cute cute cute baby!