Monday, November 18, 2013

I asked Siri.

The use of electronic devices in our house borders on excessive.  But I like to think we use them to enhance and better our lives- not waste them :)

For example- yesterday there was a lot of pretty significant bad weather.  Tornado watches, severe thunderstorm warnings, etc.  I was fretting over a possible tornado when Zeb asked for my phone and left the room.  He returned shortly and informed me we were safe. 

"How do you know?"- I asked him. "I asked Siri." he replied matter of factly.  "She said there's no tornado".
I can not argue with Siri.

Then tonight we used them for family home evening (our monday night tradition) and later again for family scripture reading.  Both beneficial applications of the devices.

This evening after I put the kiddos to bed- I sat with Zeb while he read to me an ENTIRE 'kids book of riddles' on the kindle.  It's so wonderful having a child who can read.  who can talk to me. who can be my friend.   I love this kid. and he loves his kindle.  We've got several Junie b. jones books from the library on it even.

As he read through the jokes- he laughed and laughed and laughed.  And then he'd explain every joke to me to make sure I understood just what made them so funny. 

"how does a farmer keep track of his cows?"
"with a COWculator!"
Get it, mom? A farmer has cows- and a calculator counts!- a COWculator!!

"What time do you go to the dentist?"
"At tooth-hurty!"
Tooth-hurty sounds just like 2:30! and you go to the dentist when your tooth hurts!  isn't that funny, mom??!


Metta got in on the electronic device action this evening, too.  She lounged in her chair and played her very favorite game on the Iphone- "dumb ways to die'. She LOVES it.  It's accompanied by the catchiest theme song ever.  Click on the link if you want a song stuck in your head all day.  And the get the (free) game app .  It's well worth your time.

  Here's a copy of the lyrics if you want a good laugh.  They're even better than Zeb's riddles!
.
Set fire to your hair
Poke a stick at a grizzly bear
Eat medicine that’s out of date
Use your private parts as piranha bait

Dumb ways to die
So many dumb ways to die
Dumb ways to die
So many dumb ways to die

Get your toast out with a fork
Do your own electrical work
Teach yourself how to fly
Eat a two week old unrefrigerated pie

Invite a psycho-killer inside
Scratch your drug dealer’s brand new ride
Take your helmet off in outer space
Use your clothes dryer as a hiding place

Keep a rattlesnake as pet
Sell both the kidneys on the internet
Eat a tube of super-glue
“I wonder what’s this red button do?”

Dress up like a moose during hunting season
Disturb a nest of wasps for no good reason
Stand on the edge of a train station platform
Drive around the boom gates at a level crossing
Run across the tracks between the platforms
They may not rhyme but they’re quite possibly

Dumbest ways to die
Dumbest ways to die
Dumbest ways to die
So many dumb
So many dumb ways to die

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are too funny! Thanks for sharing your life with us. We love you guys.

Nannie Annie

P.S. Have you called your dad yet?