Saturday, November 23, 2013

my favorite kind of day....


We definitely had a wonderful and busy day.  and while my pics are boring- at least I got some!

I was trying to figure out some indoor lighting and made my kids sit as subjects.  
Zeb was pretty willing and just sat happily.  
He's very well tempered. usually.  But when he gets upset about something- it's pretty emotional.  Ike frustrates him regularly (he frustrates me regularly, too).  Two days ago Zeb walked up to me with hands balled in tight fists- and a shaking little body- and said: "I'm so mad I want to hit somebody (Ike, I'm sure)".  I thanked him for letting me know- and told him to go lie down for a little to cool off.  I'm pretty proud of him for recognizing his anger and dealing with it appropriately. He was my most explosive toddler- so we've come a long way.
Ike looks like a crazy gremlin (possibly because he is). I'm not sure where his teeth went or what's going on with his lips :)  but those little elf ears are definitely from me!  I looked like Yoda for the first several years of my life!
Ike has the SCARIEST little monster voice.  If you see him- ask to hear it.  It's really impressive. and creepy.

Today we spent a lot of time prepping for the Thanksgiving!  I am soooo excited.  We just found out that Kent gets the day OFF!  woohoo. the WHOLE day!  Our first year as residents- he worked a long full Thanksgiving Day and it was about the hardest day of this long 7 year medical journey we've been on.  I'm not sure why it was harder than the Christmases he's worked, or the days I've spent stranded in airports with all three kids and no Kent, or the time after metta was born and he went straight back to work from my hospital bed side, or any # of the other tough holidays and experiences we've had- but it was.  I was sad and especially grumpy.  So now -Thanksgiving with him home seems that much sweeter. 

I've put him in charge of the turkey.  It's not my favorite thing to cook.  I can't ever get it to be great.  Maybe it's just that Turkey isn't that great to begin with- but if anybody can make it taste great- it's Kent. Our in house chef.

Here are just the ingredients for the brine!!  
the  turkey is sitting outside right now staying frozen.  Because it's FREEZING here.  Like crazy cold.   Colder than Russian or Alaska by ten degrees+.  I checked.
I'm in charge of the rolls. the pretzel/cream cheese jello salad/ and green been casserole.   and maybe a pie or two if I get time!

And this evening we went OUT.  It was to a church meeting ( I love my church- check out my mormon.org profile- it's pretty cool!) but nevertheless- we went out and didn't take the kids!  and then we went to Steak n Shake- an Ohio gem.  It sounds pretty bad- and actually looks kind of nasty.  We never even tried their food the entire four years we lived in Toledo!  But their shakes are TO DIE FOR.  and Kent says their steak burgers are insane tasty- and fabulously priced.   so go- you won't be disappointed.

We went with friends - and laughed and laughed and laughed.  about really non appropriate dinner conversation.  Too many people in the medical field.  Mom- you would have been so offended by the talk of scat.  


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure I would have been appalled. We are NOT barbarians.

yaya said...

Hahaha! My kids will tell you that most dinner conversations when they were growing up were inappropriate medical/surgical stories! They say "Don't ask Mom a question..she draws pictures!" Have a happy Thanksgiving guys! I'm glad Kent is off to enjoy it too!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I am so excited for Kent's turkey!