Friday, August 3, 2007

bloggers beware!

Okay, so after reading Heidi's post about giving out blog addresses and whatnot, I started thinking. How many bloggers are out there and how many of them are interrelated? and how many people are getting to my blog through links of others (like the tiffanie and her missionary fiasco!) I wondered how long it would take me to go to a friend's blog (out of the family altogether) and choose a link from that blog of somebody that I didn't know and then eventually get back to my own blog by clicking on random blog links.

so, I actually tried it! i thought it was a long shot, but i figured that being mormon helps a lot because all blogs lead back to utah!! It took me only about 15 minutes to get back to a blog with a link to me on it! and guess what? the blog that brought me back to my own was HEIDI's! for real. I linked to it from "dance bama" or something blog. there I was, out in blogworld, looking at people's links and lo and behold there appeared "gary and heidi".

I also ran into blogs of friends from highschool, people in my ward growing up ten years ago, and my fhe brother from ricks! I ventured to many states and even oversees on a few links and still managed to find my way back home.

the blogworld is ever so small and intertwined. bloggers beware.

5 comments:

Pat and Brent said...

Is that really such a problem? It seems to me that it's pretty easy to find out stuff about people anyway. I certainly don't want to live in constant paranoia. It's too much fun to share the things we do through the blog.

Kent and Leisy said...

Exactly. Just be careful about what you post because you never know who will be looking. Don't make fun of that nasty old 5th grade teacher because he might end up on your blog!! :) - Kent

Michelle said...

I will make fun of that nasty old 5th grade teacher until the ends of time and I hope he hears about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Really, though - that is so bizarre that you were able to link all over and then back home. You DO know a LOT of people - and so do Heidi and Gary - so, maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Michelle said...

Okay - so, I tried it ... for 17 minutes. I could bear no more. Not only did I not ever make it back to my own blog ... I did not find ONE person that I even knew. I also got stuck a couple of times (the person I linked to didn't have any links set up) - so, I would just push the back button. It seems awful random to me. I think I'm safe.

heidi said...

wo! i haven't had the internet forever and i'm just catching up and this totally freaks me out! who had a link to us?? dance bama? what the heck? do i know them? that's nutty. I love all your pics. you guys are awesome.