Friday, August 17, 2007

White Coat

Orientation week has finally ended and here I am with my white coat. The road to becoming a physician has begun! Orientation was enjoyable. It was nice to have a week of introduction to the craziness that my life will be starting on Monday. The week was exciting. It was spent introducing us to the campus, teachers, schedule and basically the routine of daily medical school life. I love the atmosphere at this campus! The teachers are so amazing and the faculty of UT is incredible. My class has a lot of really fun and interesting people - there are 166 of us from all over the U.S. Today at the white coat ceremony we learned that we were accepted from the largest application pool UT has ever seen. We collectively had a GPA of 3.7 and an MCAT score of 31. The white coat ceremony was SUPER boring and 4 hours long. As much as I would have loved to have all of you there, you really didn't miss anything.

Monday begins the craziest, most intense studying I have yet done in my college career! Our first test will be in 2 weeks and will cover 526 pages of notes. I nearly died when they handed out our notes! The nice thing is the college provides and prints out all these wonderful packets. I will be in class 6 hours a day studying Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and case studies for the next 2 months. One of the teachers said medical school isn't so hard as it is immense. Kind of like drinking water from a fire hose. I'm not sure if this was intended to comfort or scare ~ I'm just excited to start studying again!


(My Notes)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow Kent! Talk about overwhelming studying! You look amazing in your white coat. If anybody can do it, it is you. I am so proud of you and know you will do an amazing job.

Michelle said...

Kent - I am SOOO impressed with how upbeat and positive you are!! 526 pages of notes? That's enough to give me a FULL BLOWN heart attack!!! ... and you say, "can't wait to get back to studying"!!!!!!!!!! Are you crazy?! :) just kidden.

I am in total awe at the average gpa and mcat score- that is absolutely amazing. AND - I'm even more impressed that both your gpa and mcat were higher than the average. You ROCK. Seriously ... you totally rock!

You will always be in our prayers. I am so proud of your confidence, determination, attitude, and diligence. You are such a good example. Good luck!!! Keep us informed! Put us on your waiting list NOW for future doctor services, okay?

lovelovekisskisshughug

Michelle said...

OKAY - looking at that stack of notes again ...

literally blows me away. Gee-wiz, Kent - good luck! ... or, "have fun" might be what you would want to hear. :)

Michelle said...

pps - I LOVE that Z is waving at me!! He DOES miss his Aunt Michelle, huh? :) I sure miss you guys!

Pat and Brent said...

My son - the Doctor. I'm so proud of you Kent. I'm also excited for you and all the cool things you will learn. I can just see you gulping ravinously from that fire hose. Happy drinking!

M- your favorite said...

WOW You look so handsome in a white coat. You sure do look like a DR. I can't believe that you have been talking about this for sooooo long that you are finally doing it. You must be so proud of yourself. I know I am so proud of you. I love telling people that you are in medical school. I just can't believe it is happening. Here I am crying because I am so HAPPY for you. You will do so well. I know it's going to be hard being away from Leisy and Zeb-but Kent you are an amazing person with so many talents, your going to have a blast learing everything possible. KENT WAY TO GO!!

If you can be over loaded with notes not even books yet, then I can handle my lame little books. So you are a true example to me. Thanks for all you do Kent. You really are the most humble person I know. I am really lucky to have you as my brother. I love you Kent! And happy studing!! Your going to do great!

Pam and Rand said...

Isn't it amazing that Pat and I are so and have so many similarities in life? It's cool that we both have three daughters and then our son's are going to be doctors. I know Ike is was wishing school didn't start again so soon - since he knows what hard work he's in for. Kent you'll do great - though it will be hard - it will be stuff that you will love to learn about. GOOD LUCK!!